Friday, March 30, 2012

something beautiful: me

oh you guys.  this woman.  she is amazing and gorgeous and talented and strong and brilliant and the woman whose prayers and talks and advice and wisdom saved me on my darkest days (read: years).

she is my mom.  and she has not had an easy life, an easy marriage, or an easy bunch of kids to raise (SIX, might I add).  she has earned every wrinkle, every gray hair, and every twinkle in her eye, so I promised her I would not touch them so you could see her as her truest self.  and I may be showing a bit of favor to this woman, but isn't she the most beautiful creature you've ever beheld? 





Today, I'm not sure I find much to love about myself. I feel weak and sad and empty. But that is just today and I trust I won't feel as bad tomorrow. Usually I can love that I have been making progress in this life. Especially recently life has handed me some unexpected blows, but I can honestly say that the pain has helped me learn and grow. So, I love that I'm able to do that, that I can face the day and move forward. I love that I have compassion. It is a gift that some don't have and I feel blessed to feel it and to share it with others around me. I love how much I love my children, how amazing is a mother's love. Another gift. 

What makes me real? That I have as many heartaches as the next woman, that I long for love, that I find comfort in hiking, that I feel like a mountain top is about as close as I can get to God. I am real because  I have been an imperfect person. I am full of mistakes and faults and good and bad and love and joy and sorrow. I am a human and I live a complex life but I am grateful for all the good and even some of the bad that has been my experience. 


What advice do I have? Love God, love yourself, love others. In that order. Take care of yourself, don't ever dismiss your sense of right and wrong. Listen to your gut. Believe it. Be kind to others. Love your children fiercely. Stay connected with friends - when you least feel like connecting with a friend make the effort to do it anyway. Talk about your struggles, your hurts, your challenges, don't try to get through life on your own. 


How did I overcome my insecurities? I don't know that I have. But I'm better. I realized that I am worth buying a dress at full price.  I realized that I can risk being rejected. I can talk to strangers, I can be alone, I can feel pain and not die. I can be happy. What matters is what I do right now, not what happened in the past or will happen in the future. 

 thank you for being so incredible mom.


15 comments:

  1. Amazing woman! I love your mom and she is absolutely gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this! & I LOVE that woman you get to call mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous. beautiful words. beautiful pictures. what a great capture of an amazing woman. so happy to call ya'll family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. Your mom has always been one of my true heroes. Love her. Love you. Loved reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom is so beautiful. Obvi she's phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. Your mom is amazing and has raised some amazing children. Love you all! Every picture is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom I love you. I am so lucky that I got to have you for my mother. What a beautiful post. I know where the kids got the great writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Post Remi and Elise. Remi you are extremely lucky to have the most amazing woman as your mother. Elise you inspire me with your love and compassion and service to others, you truly are an example to me. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mom is such a beautiful woman, inside and out. I can see now why all you Lundeens are freaking awesome:) Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my. Your mother is simply amazing. She had me in tears. I want to be that sort of woman & I want my boys to look at me with the same sort of respect that you have for her. Thank you so so so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elise you are inspiring! Rem these picture capture what a beautiful, loving and capable woman your mom is! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Mom is the most kind and amazing person I know. I am so lucky to have her as my friend. She has always been the perfect example of what kind of person I would like to be. She has raised six wonderful kids. I love Elise and the whole Lundeen family! Thanks for posting this Elise and Remi it's a beautiful tribute to a beautiful lady.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She has to be where the Lundeens get their good looks right?? She is radiant ! And I love all of her words, can't believe I never met your mom Rem, but I know I would love her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think those are some of my favorite pictures I have seen of yours... so beautiful! The words only add to what you were able to capture! Love it, love you and miss your guts, haven't seen you in forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I keep waiting for you to do another post so people won't have to see me at the top of your page. I'm sure they are ready for a change. :)

    ReplyDelete